Saturday, September 24, 2011

Can You Make a Difference with a Law Degree?


Bard College is a highly selective institution of higher learning in upstate New York. Bard prides itself on its deep commitment to civic engagement and its long tradition of preparing young people to make a difference in the wider world.

Bard’s pre-law advisor is Roger Berkowitz, Associate Professor of Political Studies, Human Rights, and Philosophy, and Academic Director of Bard’s Hannah Arendt Center.

Not long ago I spoke with Professor Berkowitz about his approach to pre-law counseling. Perhaps I caught him on a bad day, but his depiction of the legal profession was one which I found to be extremely novel.

Specifically, Professor Berkowitz suggested that the opportunities to make a difference in the legal profession are very limited. He noted that there are only so many public public interest law firms and, therefore, only so many opportunities to serve the public interest through the law. If a student decides to pursue a career in environmental law, for example, she will probably end up counseling corporations every day on how to get away with polluting the environment as much as possible.

This was a view of the legal profession with which I was largely unfamiliar. I found myself asking: Is this the way that most people think of the legal profession? Is it an accurate view?

Professor Berkowitz has invited me to speak with his students about whether it is possible to make a difference with a law degree.

What should I tell them?

No comments:

Post a Comment